22 July 2014

Turkish Wine of the Week - Vinkara Domi-Sek Misket

I'm a little late with this week's post. After the "preview" Sunday night I spent Monday largely in bed hating myself. I'm not even sure at this point if I'll manage to drink anything this week to post next Monday! But since this one was already drafted...lets go.
 
Vinkara has not previously been one of my favorite wine producers and so it is with the quattro domi-sek.

This is the first of the Miskets I've tried that has truly been a semi-dry. Quite probably that's why it's not a favorite for me. It was not at all bad and I think, even at 35TL a bottle, I might like to give it another try and see what I think of it a second time around. As with anything else, if you have a flavor idea in your mind and the actual flavor doesn't match, you end up completely off your stride.

I think the view might have improved the flavor!

While the nose and flavor profiles were within the same family as the sweeter Miskets I've been drinking, the taste was quite a lot drier and the orange blossom and honey flavors I've come to expect much less evident. You can even see in the pictures how much darker the color is which (combined with the drier taste) make me wonder if perhaps this was oaked at any point.


It went quite well with a dessert Stilton I picked up recently in London and with chocolate; however it went far less well with peaches and nectarines. Shudder. That I won't do again. But the wine I just might; just not any time soon...

No comments: