27 October 2014

Turkish Wine of the Week - Suvla Cabernet Sauvignon

Another Monday, another Suvla. Frankly there could be many worse ways to spend a Monday!

While my favorite Suvlas have been the blends, they're not falling down on the varietals and the Cabernet Sauvignon is another fine example. I would love to show you a picture of the garnet red color of the wine which was set of by glow from inside...but I somehow managed to empty and throw away the bottle without remember to take any pictures at all. So, that was a fail on me.

In lieu of wine pictures please enjoy this snap of my Sherlock who, from the ecstatic way she was rolling around on top of the DVDs, also agrees that Joss Whedon is a genius and Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of the best shows ever.


The Suvla Cab has all the berries and spice in both the nose and on the palate that you would expect from a good Cab but I also tasted a some unexpected sweetness in the finish. It was a little startling but not unwelcome. Possibly it was the hints of blueberry...?

Making the wine even better for me were the tannins that gave the wine a smooth, velvetyness. Light tannins to be sure; really I only marked them in the first few sips until they melded into the overall drinking experience. As I love a tannin, though I will always remark upon them.

And speaking of the overall drinking experience; Suvla's Cabernet Sauvignon is a lovely one. It went down remarkably smoothly and was very easy to drink. I have something of a love/hate relationship with Cab Sauvs as I find that they can be overwhelming if not paired with the right foods; however Suvla's paired nicely with food but was also enjoyable all on its lonesome.

I rarely find a wine maker that doesn't have at least one wine that I simply cannot drink; regardless of how much I may love the rest; I'm still waiting for that moment with Suvla. I bit the bullet and bought one of their Merlot's today so maybe next week is when the Suvla pedestal I've built falls down!



No comments: