15 December 2014

Turkish Wine of the Week - Kutman Ipsala 2005

This week we're diverting from Suvla. Largely because I saw a bottle of wine at Carrefour last week that I don't recall having seen before. A Kutman Varietal Gamay - Cabernet from 2005.

Gamay is about the only wine for which I will forgive the French. In fact I was fairly well set on making France a parking lot for Europe or giving it to Germany after I take over the world; but my friend L pleaded for it. She gets France and Ireland and my interference in her rule will be minimal. Ish. But I digress.

At 38TL the Ipsala is right around the price point I have come to grudgingly accept as the minimal amount for quality wine here. *Sob* I miss Trader Joe's.


I think what caught my attention was the label which, I think, has a very European look to it. I decided that between that and the fact that I haven't seen a Gamay here before as a positive sign; which it really rather was. From the gorgeous purply red color to the smooth finish, this Gamay Cabernet blend is a winner.

The nose is what I would expect from a Cabernet; pepper/spice and red fruits. The spice is also the first thing you get on the palate; almost overwhelmingly so. Then, after you sit for a bit mulling through the tannins the fruit flavors make themselves known: raspberry, grape*, maybe a little plum. The label does not specify what the blend percentages are; but the very dry, acidic, and medium tannins make me want to say that, whatever the percentages, the Cabernet is the dominant grape.

This paired nicely with both Parmesan and cheddar. Despite the French origin of the grapes I feel tempted to treat this more like an Italian wine. It's got all the bigness I associate with a lot of Italian reds and I I don't think you'd go wrong pairing it with the same foods as you would an Italian.



I love cheese. Almost all of them really but cheddar remains my favorite. Specifically proper white, sharp cheddar. Which I could buy here if I wanted to sell my kidney or something to pay for it. So when L and I found a cheese booth at a Christmas craft fair in Inverness I was, needless to say, excited. Possibly a little too excited. L said you could see the vendor's demeanor change from 'friendly salesman' to 'oh dear this person could be dangerous; no sudden moves now'. I must admit my excitement over hand crafted cheddar likely seems disproportionate when you don't know that I live in a cheddarless desert. My Montgomery Burns plotting glee combined with my back injury and consequently odd posture and semi permanent grimace of pain did probably send the wrong message. After sampling several marvelous cheddars L and I both bought three (at 3 of 10 GBP). I got: sharp, caramelized onion, and garlic chive. I now regret not getting the chili as well.

I heartily recommend Damn Fine Cheese if you're in an area where it's sold or can be shipped to you.



*I know it seems odd to cite grape here. Wine is (usually) made out of grapes. But how often do you hear or read a wine description that actually mentions the flavor? Not often at all. Gamay is known to be a little grapey though.

No comments: