10 June 2015

Turkish Wine of the Week - Corvus Aegea 2011 Kuntra

I have not had a great deal of Corvus wines. I think I had a cheaper one ages ago, didn't like it, and wrote off the entire winery. Which was really pretty stupid. I recently found a few bottles of Corvus that I had not seen before and decided to give them a try.

I hadn't heard of the Kuntra grape before but a little Googling later discovered that it is in fact the Greek name for the Karaksiz grape. Karaksiz grapes generally produce sweet wines so obviously this was blended with something. With what though I have no idea.

Gotta respect a nicely decorated cork.

Despite my trepidation going in, I think I liked it. Dark, dark garnet in the glass with wafty scents of red fruits and spice. The Kuntra doesn't burn exactly, but it's definitely somewhere on the jammy/hot side of the fence.

Niiiice tannins: well integrated, velvety, stick to tongue and we know that I pretty much enjoy anything with some good tannins. Medium+, well integrated acid help give the Kuntra a long finish and while the red fruits from the nose followed through in the palate I think I also detected some apple?

For 43-ish TL at Carrefour this was a decent find. If I keep sipping my way through Corvus wines as enjoyably as I did the 2011 Kuntra I will be in danger of becoming a Corvus fan!

No comments: