18 November 2015

Turkish Wine of the Week - Suvla 2014 Boğazkere

We know I love Suvla but I love Suvla even more now than before because they are now producing  a Boğazkere, an Öküzgöz, and a Boğazkere-Öküzgözü blend. I am so thrilled I'm practically dancing. While I can't wait to try them all, this week we're talking about the Boğazkere.

Boğazkere grapes are dark and often produce purply-red wines and the Suvla followed form. In the nose I thought I detected liquorice, berries, clove, and maybe some eucalyptus. It's a nice nose. I often find with good wines that I become so immersed enjoying the nose that it's a little while before get own to drinking. Someone should be making candles that smell like wine. Is anyone on this?*


On the palate the Suvla isn't as "throat burnery" as the name suggests but the leather, clove, black mulberry, and blackberry flavors are gorgeous. Nice amount of tannins, acid that balances well with the tannins and flavors, and a long finish combine to create a wine that is not only very scrummy, but that is also an excellent example of what Boğazkere grapes are capable of.


A bottle of this won't break the bank either. Suvla's 2014 Boğazkere retails for somewhere around 30TL (in a Suvla store-anywhere else will carry an ofttimes significant mark up).

*In fact yes-people are on this! Rewined Candles which offers quite a few wine scents including sangria and Winewicks which has a more limited variety of scents. If I'm not going to drink Merlot or Chardonnay the likelihood of my wanting to smell them are pretty low...

No comments: